A couple of weeks ago, I wrote the first post about the name God called The Lord My Banner, or Jehovah-nissi.
I shared the story of where we find this name in the Old Testament and what the name means, but I didn’t get into different applications we can draw from this name.
Jehovah-nissi is the name of the altar built by Moses after defeating the Amalekites at Rephidim. Amalek was the grandson of Esau and the first (and constant) enemy of Israel. In the Bible, Amalek is a picture of the flesh – which is our first (and constant) enemy once we are saved.
In the last post, we talked about how the Israelites defeated the Amalekites. Moses had to keep his arms lifted for them to win, symbolizing their dependence on God to win the battle for them. The Israelites followed their Banner into battle, and He gave them the victory.
Here are some ways that knowing Jehovah-nissi applies to our everyday lives:
If we are under His banner, God will give us victory against the flesh, the world, and the devil. Our God is a God of deliverances.
- This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. Galatians 5:16
- I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 2 Timothy 4:7
- Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place. 2 Corinthians 2:14
- Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4
In the middle of the battle, we need to lift our eyes to our Jehovah-nissi who stands with his arms extended high, making intercession for us. The Lord will fight for us.
- Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. Hebrews 7:25
- The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace. Exodus 14:14
- Ye shall not fear them: for the Lord your God he shall fight for you. Deuteronomy 3:22
We are commanded to be strong and fight the battle in His power.
- Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Ephesians 6:10
If we do not fight under His banner, defeat is a certainty. We can’t do the battle against the flesh under our own power.
- I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. John 15:5
Don’t be discouraged in the battle! We have God on our side!
- Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21
You can print out a sheet for your own study or for a group study HERE. You can print out the graphic HERE.
Here are all the other posts on the names of God:
- Names of God (List of books I used to study for this series)
- Elohim, The Creator God (free printables)
- El Elyon, The God Most High (free printables)
- El-Roi, The God Who Sees (free printables)
- El-Shaddai, The All-Sufficient One (free printables)
- Adonai, The Lord (free printables)
- Jehovah, The Self-Existent One, Part 1
- Jehovah, The Self-Existent One, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah Jireh, The Lord Will Provide, Part 1
- Jehovah Jireh, The Lord Will Provide, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-Rapha: The Lord Who Heals, Part 1
- Jehovah Rapha: The Lord Who Heals, Part 2
- Jehovah Rapha: The Lord Who Heals, Part 3 (free printables)
- Jehovah Nissi: The Lord My Banner, Part 1
- Jehovah Nissi: The Lord My Banner, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-mekoddishkem: The Lord Who Sanctifies You, Part 1
- Jehovah-mekoddishkem: The Lord Who Sanctifies You, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-Shalom: The Lord Is Peace, Part 1
- Jehovah-Shalom: The Lord is Peace, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-Sabaoth: The Lord of Hosts, Part 1
- Jehovah-Sabaoth: The Lord of Hosts, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah Raah: The Lord is My Shepherd, Part 1
- Jehovah Raah: The Lord is My Shepherd, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-Tsidkenu: The Lord our Righteousness, Part 1
- Jehovah-Tsidkenu: The Lord our Righteousness, Part 2 (free printables)
The thoughtful topics for your posts could be related to but not limited to the following topics:
* homemaking * homeschooling * devotional or Biblical posts * Christian in nature * family/marriage * inspirational *
- Do NOT link up recipes, reviews, giveaways, diy, or crafts.
- Link up to three posts that have not been linked up to this linky previously!
- We would love it if you visited a couple other posts and left a comment or shared/pinned the post!
- If you wish, please follow Creative K Kids by subscribing to our newsletter or following us on social media.
If you link up, we would love if you put this button somewhere on your blog (sidebar, post, or party page) or provide a text link so that others can also find these great posts.