The mid-week service at our church this week really challenged me. The pastor talked on a passage that I thought was so appropriate to the busyness of the Christmas season.
22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
Our pastor shared how the part that is saying, “if therefore thine eye be single” means that we should have a singular focal point.
What should our focus be?
It should always be on pleasing God!
Often times, we allow the complexities of life, especially at the holiday season, distract us and we lose our correct focus.
When we keep our focus on pleasing God, we will gain understanding. “Thy whole body shall be full of light” means that having a single focus will bring light or understanding to our life. So when we keep our primary focus on pleasing the Lord, we will also be able to keep our priorities right and do what we really should be doing.
In this hectic season of the year, we need to just ask, “Will this please God?”
- In how I respond right now, am I pleasing God?
- In my thought life right now, am I pleasing God?
- Would this activity please God?
- Would watching this show please God?
To not have a single focus on God is evil! It brings darkness; it taints our whole outlook.
I know that when I get distracted and over-committed, I get discouraged and have the wrong attitude which is sin! Now, I truly do not know how to lessen my load this month, but I can keep my focus right. Am I — as a mom, as a wife, as a teacher — pleasing God with my words, with my actions, with my attitudes?
How can we truly keep Christ in Christmas and celebrate Him if we are not pleasing Him? That should be our singular focus this Christmas — and all year long!
Here are the rules for this linky:
The thoughtful topics for your posts could be related to but not limited to the following topics:
* homemaking * homeschooling * devotional or Biblical posts * Christian in nature * family/marriage * inspirational *
- Do NOT link up recipes, reviews, giveaways, diy, or crafts.
- Link up to three posts that have not been linked up to this linky previously!
- We would love it if you visited a couple other posts and left a comment or shared/pinned the post!
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
- We would love if you followed your hosts on some form of social media, but this is not required. Our hope is that these posts will be encouraging, uplifting, and a source of good reading for you.
If you link up, we would love if you put this button somewhere on your blog (sidebar, post, or party page) or provide a text link so that others can also find these great posts.