Have you ever noticed how easy it is to complain or to be negative when you are tired?
Having a negative spirit or finding it easy to complain is something that I have to work on. This past week, I found myself not being thankful or not being positive. Not only can I be negative, but my children can be negative too. Partly we are this way because we are all sinners, so it is easy to complain and not be thankful for what God has given to us. Partly my children may be this way because of my example of complaining. On the way into school, I was rebuked by this fact. We read a Psalm every morning, and this week, we have read Psalm 64-67 so far. Here are some of the verses we read: (italics mine)
66 Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands:
2 Sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise glorious.
3 Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works! through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies submit themselves unto thee.
4 All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah.
5 Come and see the works of God: he is terrible in his doing toward the children of men.
6 He turned the sea into dry land: they went through the flood on foot: there did we rejoice in him.
7 He ruleth by his power for ever; his eyes behold the nations: let not the rebellious exalt themselves. Selah.
8 O bless our God, ye people, and make the voice of his praise to be heard:
9 Which holdeth our soul in life, and suffereth not our feet to be moved.
67 5 Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee.
Here were some of my thoughts about this passage:
- God commands all the lands, or everyone, to make a joyful noise. We should have praising, joyful words, not negative complaining words. (v.1, 4)
- We should be praising God’s name as we go about our day. Our speech should bring Him honor.
- When I feel negative or I feel like things or not going the way the should, I need to look back at what God has done for me in the past and praise Him for how He has helped me and provided for me. (v. 6)
- We are commanded to “make the voice of His praise to be heard.” When we are thankful and praise Him, He is glorified. (v. 8)
- I can always praise the Lord for what He has done for me: He has given me life, and He will not allow my feet to be moved! (v. 9)
- There is no reason why I should not be praising Him. All the people should be praising HIm. (67:5)
There are many more verses in the Psalms about praising the Lord. When we praise, negativism run aways. When we praise, we cannot be complaining at the same time. Every morning now as drive in to school, after we read our Psalm, we are sharing something that we are thankful for. It could be that we have good traffic that day, or that the sun is shining, or that we left our house on time. It could be something “bigger” such as God healed someone from a disease; but we can always find something for which to praise the Lord.
My challenge for myself is to remember to praise when I feel tempted to complain. It’s a new habit I want to start. Who’s with me?
Here are the rules for this linky:
The thoughtful topics for your posts could be related to but not limited to the following topics:
* homemaking * homeschooling * devotional or Biblical posts * Christian in nature * family/marriage * inspirational *
- Do NOT link up recipes, reviews, giveaways, diy, or crafts.
- Link up to three posts that have not been linked up to this linky previously!
- We would love it if you visited a couple other posts and left a comment or shared/pinned the post!
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
- We would love if you followed your hosts on some form of social media, but this is not required. Our hope is that these posts will be encouraging, uplifting, and a source of good reading for you.
If you link up, we would love if you put this button somewhere on your blog (sidebar, post, or party page) or provide a text link so that others can also find these great posts.