Last week, I shared the story behind the first time the name of God, Jehovah-Sabaoth was used in Scripture. We saw how Hannah ran to the Lord of Hosts when she was being attacked by her adversary. The Lord of Hosts rescued her and gave her a son.
Even though this name was used in the Old Testament, God is still our Lord of Hosts.
How is God our Jehovah-sabaoth today? How can we apply the knowledge of who God is as Jehovah-sabaoth to our everyday lives?
- The Lord of the hosts of heaven will always fulfill His purposes, even when the hosts of His earthly people fail.
- We need to run to this name when we find ourselves failing and powerless. This is a name for those who find their resources inadequate in the midst of a struggle.
- But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 1 Corinthians 1:27
- Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7
“Do you feel weak, insignificant, and without resources to face your impossible situation? You are in the exact place where Yahweh Sabaoth can do a mighty work.” Catherine Martin
- This name helps you overcome giants in your life.
- Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied. I Samuel 17:45
- Our God is a Warrior, He is a fighter, and we are in His army.
“As children of the Lord of Hosts, we are following after the One who wins every battle. A struggle is not bad if it’s for a good purpose. God wants warriors who stand up for Him in the face of the enemy so that the lost may be saved.” Lester Sumrall
- We are in a spiritual battle. We need to follow the Lord of Hosts, the Almighty God, who will have the victory.
- Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7
Here are some more references for Jehovah-sabaoth:
- Jeremiah 20:11-13
- Isaiah 6:3, 8:13, 31:5, 48:2, 54:5—for those alone
- Psalm 46:7, 11; 84:12
- Malachi 1:10-14
- Romans 9:29 and James 5:4 – 2 times in KJV where we see Lord of Sabaoth translated “Lord of Hosts.”
- Zechariah 8:22 – Zechariah 8 could be called the the “Lord of Hosts” chapter as this name appears 18 times.
Even though Jehovah-sabaoth is an Old Testament name for God, we can see how Jesus is our Jehovah-sabaoth of the New Testament:
- Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. Romans 8:37
- I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13
Here are the printable worksheets I used when I taught this lesson. You can print out the verse graphic here.
You can go see all the other studies for the names of God by clicking the links below:
- Names of God (List of books I used to study for this series)
- Elohim, The Creator God (free printables)
- El Elyon, The God Most High (free printables)
- El-Roi, The God Who Sees (free printables)
- El-Shaddai, The All-Sufficient One (free printables)
- Adonai, The Lord (free printables)
- Jehovah, The Self-Existent One, Part 1
- Jehovah, The Self-Existent One, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah Jireh, The Lord Will Provide, Part 1
- Jehovah Jireh, The Lord Will Provide, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-Rapha: The Lord Who Heals, Part 1
- Jehovah Rapha: The Lord Who Heals, Part 2
- Jehovah Rapha: The Lord Who Heals, Part 3 (free printables)
- Jehovah Nissi: The Lord My Banner, Part 1
- Jehovah Nissi: The Lord My Banner, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-mekoddishkem: The Lord Who Sanctifies You, Part 1
- Jehovah-mekoddishkem: The Lord Who Sanctifies You, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-Shalom: The Lord Is Peace, Part 1
- Jehovah-Shalom: The Lord is Peace, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-Sabaoth: The Lord of Hosts, Part 1
- Jehovah-Sabaoth: The Lord of Hosts, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah Raah: The Lord is My Shepherd, Part 1
- Jehovah Raah: The Lord is My Shepherd, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-Tsidkenu: The Lord our Righteousness, Part 1
- Jehovah-Tsidkenu: The Lord our Righteousness, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah-Shammah: The Lord is There, Part 1
- Jehovah-Shammah: The Lord is There, Part 2
- Jehovah-Shammah: The Lord is There, Part 3 (free printables)
The thoughtful topics for your posts could be related to but not limited to the following topics:
* homemaking * homeschooling * devotional or Biblical posts * Christian in nature * family/marriage * inspirational *
- Do NOT link up recipes, reviews, giveaways, diy, or crafts.
- Link up to three posts that have not been linked up to this linky previously!
- We would love it if you visited a couple other posts and left a comment or shared/pinned the post!
- If you wish, please follow Creative K Kids by subscribing to our newsletter or following us on social media.
If you link up, we would love if you put this button somewhere on your blog (sidebar, post, or party page) or provide a text link so that others can also find these great posts.