Last week, I started sharing the notes I used when I taught the name of God Jehovah-Jireh to our ladies Sunday School class. That lesson had so many notes, I decided to split it into two weeks.
The first time we see the name Jehovah-Jireh is in Genesis 22:
And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen. Genesis 22:17
We shared the meaning of the name as well as the story that accompanies the first time we see this name. It still astounds me that God cares for me so much that He sees beforehand what I will need and then He will provide what I need when I need it.
Here are some other ways that we can apply this name to our every day lives:
- Just as God provided a ram as a substitute for Isaac, He provided His son Jesus as the ultimate sacrifice. This was the Provision for our greatest need.
- John 1:29: The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
- 1 Peter 1:18-19: Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
- God still delights in providing for His people. He will meet all our needs. He already knows what we will encounter in our lives and He has a provision for us to handle it.
- Philippians 4:19: “But my God shall supply all your need. . .”
- Matthew 6:26, 31-33: “Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you”
- We have needs that can be met only by our Jehovah Jireh.
- “The happy Christian has met the Lord personally and found Him an all sufficient Savior and Lord. He or she has burned all the bridge in every direction.” Tozer
- “Trusting in God’s promises when you cannot imagine how He will carry out His plan demonstrates to Him your great faith. Faith pleases God, and when He knows He can have His way with you, He provides in the most amazing and miraculous ways.” Martin
- He knows what our needs truly are.
- Isaiah 55:9: For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
- Matthew 6:11: Give us this day our daily bread.
Aren’t these applications for the name Jehovah-Jireh encouraging? He delights in meeting my needs — and He knows what I truly need.
Even though we don’t see specifically the name Jehovah-Jireh in the following verses, we do see how He meets our needs:
- Psalm 23:1 — The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
- Matthew 6:8 — Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
- Romans 8:32 — He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
In our weekly studies on the name of God, I always close with how Jesus in the New Testament showed that He is God, the Messiah, by how He lived here on earth. For example, Jesus showed that He is Jehovah-Jireh when He said He was the bread of life (John 6:35). He would provide for those who came to Him. He was also the Lamb who was slain for our sin. (John 1:29)
You can print out the handout HERE for the lesson and the graphic HERE if you wish!
Here are the other lessons that you can use:
- Names of God (List of books I used to study for this series)
- Elohim, The Creator God (free printables)
- El Elyon, The God Most High (free printables)
- El-Roi, The God Who Sees (free printables)
- El-Shaddai, The All-Sufficient One (free printables)
- Adonai, The Lord (free printables)
- Jehovah, The Self-Existent One, Part 1
- Jehovah, The Self-Existent One, Part 2 (free printables)
- Jehovah Jireh, The Lord Will Provide, Part 1
- Jehovah Jireh, The Lord Will Provide, Part 2 (free printables)
The thoughtful topics for your posts could be related to but not limited to the following topics:
* homemaking * homeschooling * devotional or Biblical posts * Christian in nature * family/marriage * inspirational *
- Do NOT link up recipes, reviews, giveaways, diy, or crafts.
- Link up to three posts that have not been linked up to this linky previously!
- We would love it if you visited a couple other posts and left a comment or shared/pinned the post!
- If you wish, please follow Creative K Kids by subscribing to our newsletter or following us on social media.
If you link up, we would love if you put this button somewhere on your blog (sidebar, post, or party page) or provide a text link so that others can also find these great posts.