Yesterday on the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party, I featured 10 different recipes that all have zucchini in them. I have picked about 10 zucchinis in the past week or two, so we are doing a lot with zucchini! You can freeze zucchini for breads and cakes, but I do not like to use zucchini in stir-frys and casseroles after it has been frozen.
Recipe for Zucchini Casserole
Cooking Time Required: 1 hour. Preheat oven @ 350°
Ingredients and Directions:
- Brown 1 lb. bulk sausage with chopped onion to taste. (I use mild pork sausage.)
- Pour off all grease.
- Beat one egg and 1/4 cups oil. (olive, vegetable, or canola)
- Toss with 5 cups dried zucchini (not peeled), 4 slices dried bread or 21/2 c. croutons. (I have used bread and croutons. Croutons give the most salt/flavor. When I use bread, I usually use a denser bread like Panera’s big loaves of bread. Also, I haven’t always remembered to have zucchini that is dry. When I do remember, I cut the zucchini in slices after lunch and then cut the slices in at least half if the zucchini is bigger. I l let it just sit out until I make the casserole in the evening. I also cut the seeds out of the middle if it is a big zucchini.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 clove minced garlic (optional).
- Bake 1 hour covered at 350° or until zucchini is tender.
- Cover with sliced Velveeta cheese and return to oven uncovered until cheese is melted.