Yesterday on the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party, I featured 10 different recipes that all have zucchini in them. I have picked about 10 zucchinis in the past week or two, so we are doing a lot with zucchini! You can freeze zucchini for breads and cakes, but I do not like to use zucchini in stir-frys and casseroles after it has been frozen.
Recipe for Zucchini Casserole
Cooking Time Required: 1 hour. Preheat oven @ 350°
Ingredients and Directions:
- Brown 1 lb. bulk sausage with chopped onion to taste. (I use mild pork sausage.)
- Pour off all grease.
- Beat one egg and 1/4 cups oil. (olive, vegetable, or canola)
- Toss with 5 cups dried zucchini (not peeled), 4 slices dried bread or 21/2 c. croutons. (I have used bread and croutons. Croutons give the most salt/flavor. When I use bread, I usually use a denser bread like Panera’s big loaves of bread. Also, I haven’t always remembered to have zucchini that is dry. When I do remember, I cut the zucchini in slices after lunch and then cut the slices in at least half if the zucchini is bigger. I l let it just sit out until I make the casserole in the evening. I also cut the seeds out of the middle if it is a big zucchini.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 clove minced garlic (optional).
- Bake 1 hour covered at 350° or until zucchini is tender.
- Cover with sliced Velveeta cheese and return to oven uncovered until cheese is melted.
- 1 lb. bulk sausage
- onion to your own taste
- one egg
- 1/4 cup oil
- 5 cups dried zucchini not peeled
- 4 slices dried bread or 2 1/2 cups croutons
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic
Brown sausage with chopped onion to taste.
Pour off all grease.
Beat egg and oil together.
Toss with zucchini, bread or croutons. Salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic (optional).
Bake 1 hour covered at 350° or until zucchini is tender.
Cover with sliced Velveeta cheese and return to oven uncovered until cheese is melted.