Kids need to learn how to cook.
I know I haven’t been great at getting my kids in to help in the kitchen recently. I work Monday – Thursday, and when I get home, I usually make something easy and fast. I can get it done faster by myself, and sometimes I just want to be by myself in the kitchen. I have taught my kids and 5 others all day, and I need some quiet.
However, it is good to get kids to help, and they all need to be able to cook some day. So it’s up to us to teach them. It also can be a fun bonding time. Some kids will actually love cooking. Who knows? Maybe, one of your kids will love it so much that they will get good at it and can cook for you!
So how do you get kids helping in the kitchen?
- Find easy recipes that they can make.
- Find recipes that they will succeed making.
- Find recipes of food that they will enjoy eating.
- Get them a fun recipe book.
- Buy them their own apron and cooking items.
- Have them make food items they can give to others.
- Make a big deal out of what they have made by praising them and talking about it to others.
- Have a schedule where they help cooking in the kitchen once a week when they are younger and have them occasionally make a whole meal when they are older.
One cookbook I was recently given so that I could give my honest review on it is called The Everything Kids’ Cookbook Updated Edition. Kids would love this colorful book with simple recipes. Simon & Schuster also let me make and share one of the recipes from this book called Peanut Butter Chip Muffins.
My 13-year-old came to the kitchen and helped prepare these muffins. We had them done in no time. They were good! My husband, who doesn’t like overly sweet desserts, liked these muffins. I had to eat them along with a glass of milk as otherwise they were a little dry.
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or line the cups with paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the peanut butter, egg, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and milk. Beat the ingredients until smooth.
Add the flour and baking powder. Mix until just blended. Do not overmix.
Stir in the peanut butter chips with a wooden spoon.
Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin so each cup is about two-thirds full.
Bake for 18–20 minutes or until the muffins are light brown on top. Using pot holders, remove the muffin tin from the oven and place it on a cooling rack. Cool 5 minutes in the muffin tin, then carefully turn the tin over to remove the muffins.
Serve warm or let the muffins cool before eating.
For a different twist, you can substitute ¼ cup chocolate chips for ¼ cup of the peanut butter chips.
Excerpted from The Everything Kids’ Cookbook, Updated Edition by Sandra K. Nissenberg. Copyright © 2002, 2008, 2020 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Photographs by Kelly Jaggers. Used with permission of the publisher, Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.