This granola recipe is another recipe that has been handed down to my mom and to now her girls from my grandma.
As my grandma is now 94 years old and has dementia, there is not much that I have from her besides our wonderful memories, pictures, some blankets she crocheted for me, and her recipes. I am planning to go back to her house and see her, Lord willing, in July. At that time, I am going to try to copy (or take) many of her favorite recipes and make a recipe book out of them. This is one recipe that will definitely be in that book.
This granola recipe is very easy to make, and it makes a ton of granola! It will fill up a 5 quart plastic ice cream container. For our large family, it makes the perfect amount. But even my mom will make it and eat it all by herself, a little every morning. It stays good a long time as long as you keep it in a closed container.
- ½ cup margarine
- 2 cups brown sugar 1 1/2 cups is fine too.
- 10 cups quick oatmeal raw
- 7 ounce package flaked coconut
- ½ c up wheat germ
- 1 cup nuts and/or 1 cup raisins
- Could also add flax seed instead of wheat germ or in addition to the wheat germ
- Could add cran-raisins or cranberries too.
Melt margarine; add brown sugar. Mix.
Add 10 cups quick oatmeal (raw) and flaked coconut.
Mix well until there are no lumps.
Bake on cookie sheets that have an edge at 275 degrees for 25 minutes.
Stir once while baking. Remove from oven and add wheat germ and any nuts and/or fruit you are adding. This makes 1 gallon.
Store (after cooling) in a tight container.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.