I went back to teaching at our little church school on Monday which makes my free time non-existent.
Therefore, the recipe I am sharing today is not my own personal recipe. I received an email giving me permission to re-post this recipe, and it sounded delicious! This recipe and photo are reprinted from FAIR FOODS: The Most Popular and Offbeat Recipes from America’s State
and County Fairs by George Geary, Santa Monica Press.
Our school was fortunate to go to the Florida state fair at the end of January. We love only 30 minutes away from where it is held, and it is comfortable in January, so they don’t do a state fair in the summer. They also have a Cracker Country experience where children can see what Florida was like over 100 years ago.
Since my kids have never been to a state fair, we had to get a funnel cake for them. They loved it!
I know for some people, going to a county or state fair is a big deal. Some people go to the fair annually as they take their livestock and hand crafts and other items to be judged or sold. So this year, with COVID-19 restrictions, many places were not able to hold their annual fairs. Besides all the economic impact, that also meant no funnel cakes could be bought!
But don’t worry — you can try your hand at making this Funnel Cake with Berries
Recipe and photo reprinted from FAIR FOODS: The Most Popular and Offbeat Recipes from America’s State and County Fairs
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup water, cool
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½s tsp granulated sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Canola oil
- Confectioners’ sugar
- 1 quart fresh berries (Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch sea salt
Combine butter, water, salt and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and quickly stir in the flour. Return the pan to low heat and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes to cook the flour slightly and rid the mixture of an starchy floury taste.
Remove the pan from the heat and place the dough in the bowl of the mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until most of the steam subsided, then add the eggs and egg whites, one at a time, until each is incorporated, and a batter is formed.
Pour 3-inches of oil into a stockpot and heat to 350 degrees F.
Meanwhile, place the batter in a pastry bag that is fitted with a round pastry tip no wider than 1/4 inch in diameter.
Holding the pastry bag over the hot oil, push the batter out into the hot oil in a zigzag or spiral shape. Fry no more than 1 large or two smaller funnel cakes at a time.
Fry the cakes until puffed up and golden (they will triple in size), 3 to 5 minutes, flipping every 30 seconds or so.
Drain the cakes on a rack and cool slightly, then sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and Berry Topping.
In a bowl, combine berries, sugar, and salt.
Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.