This past Sunday, my Sunday School classes had a combined breakfast with the college and singles Sunday School class. This meant our class was the only class with married women at the breakfast. This also meant there were a lot of doughnuts and bagels.
That is okay, but every breakfast wants a breakfast casserole, right? So of course you know who brought one!
Now, I really didn’t mind. I hate to buy doughnuts, as I cringe at the price every time I buy them. I could make coffee cake or bread, but to tell the truth, my go-to breakfast casserole is just as easy as anything else I would make.
All you have to do is the following:
- Place the bread on the bottom of the dish.
- then layer on top of the bread the cheese and the cooked meat.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture on the very top.
- Bake it and your casserole is ready to eat!
See now, you can bring the breakfast casserole, and pretend like you are sparing everyone else from all the work–when in reality, it’s rather simple to make!
I love this casserole, as you can make it the night before, stick it in the refrigerator, and cook it the next morning. It’s so easy, and loved by everyone!
Here is the recipe for Egg Breakfast Casserole:
- Sandwich bread I usually use regular sandwich bread and cut off the crust.
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup or more up to one pound cooked sausage or ham or bacon (I usually use sausage, and this time I used about 3/4 pound of sausage.)
- 6 eggs I used extra large eggs, but large eggs are fine as well.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon mustard
Butter the bottom of a 13” x 9” casserole dish.
Place 6 slices of trimmed bread on the bottom of the dish (or enough bread until the bottom is covered).
Place 1 cup grated cheddar cheese on top of bread.
Place 1 cup cooked sausage or ham or bacon on top of cheese. (You can put up to 1 pound of meat on the casserole.)
Whisk 6 eggs and 2 cups of milk and 1 tablespoon of mustard together.
Pour mixture over the meat.
You can bake right away or refrigerate up to 12 hours before you bake.
Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until cooked.