This Creamy Chicken Rice Recipe is one of my favorite recipes to make for potlucks or when I need a casserole to feed many people.
My family also loves it as the staple ingredient is rice, and my husband is half-Vietnamese and likes anything that includes rice! I also find that most people make pasta dishes for potlucks, so this is a little different.
There are a few steps to this casserole:
- Cook the rice. Put in the bottom of a 13″ x 9″ casserole dish.
- Cube chicken and cook in a little bit of oil.
- Make the creamy sauce.
- Add the chicken to the creamy sauce.
- Pour over the rice.
- Add the buttered crushed crackers to the top.
- 4 cups cooked rice--I did about 2 cups - 2 1/2 cups dry rice. I do more rice than the recipe says to do because there is a lot of "goop", and then it feeds more people!
- 1/2 cup butter divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 cups cubed cooked chicken--I sometimes use less especially if it is just for my family
- 12 ounces process American cheese Velveeta, cubed--I use the Aldi equivalent
- 2 cups 16 ounces sour cream
- 1-1/4 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers about 32
Spread rice into a greased shallow 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. I press it down.
In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour until smooth.
Gradually add milk, bouillon, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
Reduce heat; add chicken, cheese and sour cream; stir until the cheese is melted. Pour over rice.
Melt the remaining butter; toss the cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
You could prepare the casserole the night before, refrigerate it overnight, and heat it the next day. Allow extra time to heat through.
I originally found this recipe in a Quick Cooking Magazine. It can be found on the Taste of Home website found here.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.