We usually have homemade pizza on Friday nights. About once a month, I make this 5 pound of flour recipe for pizza dough, make about 8 pizzas, freeze 6 pizzas for the rest of the month, and eat 2 pizzas that night.
Even though, I still had pizzas in my freezer, we decided to try our hand at making calzones this past Friday. They were so good! We’ll definitely be making them again.
It also was so easy to make Calzones!
You need to have on hand the same ingredients you would need for pizza. When I started looking at recipes, many of them called for ricotta cheese –which I did not have on hand, and I did not want to run to the store just for that, especially since the Coronavirus is going on.
All I used was homemade pizza dough, spaghetti sauce, cheese — mozzarella cheese and colby-jack cheese is what I used, and pizza toppings. We used pepperoni and chopped ham, but veggies could also be used.
Here is how we made our calzones:
- We made 2 batches of the dough (Click HERE for pizza dough recipe. You can also buy pizza dough.)
- From that dough, we made a small pizza and 8 calzones.
- To make the calzones, I took one batch of dough and split it into 6 lumps of dough.
- I rolled out each lump of dough into a circle about 7″ in diameter.
- On half of the circle, my kids and I spread some spaghetti sauce, and then put toppings on top of the sauce.
- We brought the half of the dough with no toppings over the top of the dough with the toppings.
- We crimped the edges together using a fork.
- Then we brushed the top of the dough with melted butter.
- We baked the calzones at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
My daughter made her own calzone and made a video to show you how easy it is:
Easy to make, delicious pizza sandwich
- 1 recipe pizza dough
- spaghetti or pizza sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese (can also use a combination of different kinds of cheeses)
- pizza toppings
- melted butter
Prepare pizza dough.
Split it into lumps of dough.
Roll out each lump of dough into a circle about 7" in diameter.
On half of each circle, spread spaghetti sauce.
Put toppings on top of the sauce.
Bring the half of the dough with no toppings over the top of the dough with the toppings.
Crimp the edges together using a fork.
If desired, brush the top of the dough with melted butter.
Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.