This recipe for English Toffee Bars was one of my favorite desserts when I was growing up.
My mom would let us choose what we wanted to take into our class for birthday treats, and often this was what I chose. I am sure she was happy with my choice as it is a very easy dessert to make.
Here are the basic steps:
- Make the dough for the bottom layer.
- Press it down in a greased 13″ x 9″ pan.
- Remove and sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the bottom layer.
- Cover the pan with a larger baking sheet (like a cookie sheet) so that the chips will melt for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, and smooth out the melted chips.
- Let chocolate cool and harden.
- Cut into squares.