This recipe for English Toffee Bars was one of my favorite desserts when I was growing up.
My mom would let us choose what we wanted to take into our class for birthday treats, and often this was what I chose. I am sure she was happy with my choice as it is a very easy dessert to make.
Here are the basic steps:
- Make the dough for the bottom layer.
- Press it down in a greased 13″ x 9″ pan.
- Remove and sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the bottom layer.
- Cover the pan with a larger baking sheet (like a cookie sheet) so that the chips will melt for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, and smooth out the melted chips.
- Let chocolate cool and harden.
- Cut into squares.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups flour
- 3 drops of maple flavoring I have substituted almond flavoring or left it out if I did not have this ingredient.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg yolk. (It would help if the butter is softened.)
Add flour and flavorings.
Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with 2 cups (1 bag) of chocolate chips.
Let chips melt and then spread so the chocolate makes a smooth layer.
Cut when cool.
**I usually use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but milk chocolate could be used.
**My directions say to cut the bars before the chocolate is cooled, but I almost always wait until after the chocolate is cooled. The chocolate could be hard to cut, so you may want to cut before it is completely hardened or use a sharp knife.