Some places can be thought of as hard to clean. Who wants to stick their hand down the garbage disposal? How do you clean a big dishwasher? Yet they don’t have to be hard.
In just searching online, you can find many ways to clean the dishwasher.
What I have done in the past is just put a cup of vinegar on the top rack of the dishwasher and run a cycle. Today recommends following that up with a baking soda rinse. All this means is that you sprinkle one cup of baking soda across the bottom of the dishwasher and run a short, hot water cycle. So easy!!
Here are a few more details that you could use in cleaning your dishwasher:
- This tutorial from Kitchn gives very detailed instructions on cleaning a dishwasher.
- This website says that if you live in a place that has hard water, to clean your dishwasher every 2 months. Ours is way overdue!
- Good Housekeeping has a daily, weekly, and monthly list of what to do to keep your dishwasher in tip-top shape, and none of them are hard to do!
Cleaning the Garbage Disposal is also easy!
- This site includes detailed instructions using baking soda and vinegar. You could also use ice cubes and vinegar or rock salt.
- To make it smell better, you could also add some citrus peels to the ice cubes.
- This site says that the best way to keep your garbage disposal clean is to do routine flushing: “Don’t wait for your disposal to start smelling bad before you act. Garbage disposals require active and preventative care.”
Turn on the garbage disposal and run a thick stream of hot water through it for at least one minute. This should be long enough to push particles through the pipes in your house. This is an ideal method for reducing and removing odor, as it doesn’t require you to purchase any extra ingredients. This is a tip that you should do after each time that you run the machine.
However, the easiest way to keep a clean garbage disposal is to use Arm & Hammer Dishwasher Cleaner.
I am part of a 2020 Brand Ambassador Program for a couple of Arm & Hammer products as well as an OxiClean product, all of which are distributed by CR Brands. I received free product as well as compensation for writing this post, but all opinions are strictly my own. This is my honest review of their product.
There are easy to use directions on the back of the package. It takes only a couple of minutes to use, and they clean and make your garbage disposal smell better.
I have used these, and they will not clean the top part of the disposal that comes up to the sink. You will still have to clean that. It will clean the bottom part of the disposal where there are sharp blades. You should never stick your hand inside to clean the bottom of the disposal unless you have flipped the breaker or turned off the disposal with a switch on the actual disposal that is under the sink. But now you don’t have to — just use these little cleaners.
They do send off a delightful citrus smell. I love the scent, and I love how easy they are to use!