We ended up having four additional friends over for a play date this past week, so I thought it would be fun to try some of those great bubble ideas I had pinned on pinterest!
I tried two different recipes, and at first I thought both of them were great. But later when we tried to use one of them, it wasn’t working as well. The first recipe which I found in several places called for dish soap, water, and light corn syrup. I put a whole bunch of slotted spoons and slotted spatulas in the pan, and at first it worked great. But by the time I got everything ready, it wasn’t working when we tried to blow bubbles with the slotted spoons. It did still work for the water bottle/sock idea listed below. Here is that recipe:
Combine 3 cups water, 1 cup dish soap, 1/3 cup corn syrup
The other recipe I used worked great! This recipe calls for distilled water, glycerin, and Non-Ultra/Classic Dawn Original Scent. I did have Dawn but only the ultra kind, and it did just fine. I had combined Ajax dish soap with it as well. So I don’t really think it matters what kind of dish soap you use. I also had glycerin that is 22 year old, but it does wonders on my lips when they are really chapped. To tell the truth, I wonder how much the glycerin really does in the bubble solution as the recipe only calls for 5-6 drops. But I’m no chemist, so maybe it is the secret ingredient. (One of my readers told me this about glycerin: “The glycerin increases the surface tension of the bubble solution so that the bubbles become more resilient. If it wasn’t added, it would be just like the bubbles in your sink–not that long lasting or as strong.) I got this recipe from Down Memory Lane. Here is that recipe:
Slowly add 2 cups of dish soap to 6 cups of distilled water. (I used water from water bottles as I needed part of the bottle for the bubble play materials.)
Stir SLOWLY so as not to make lather.
Stir in 5-6 drops of Glycerin (double the amount if using Ultra detergent).
After the bubble solution was made, I took some of this last 8 cup combination and colored it different colors. I really couldn’t tell the difference in colors when they made bubbles, so I probably won’t do that again!
I gathered together different instruments that they could use with the bubbles:
- 5 straws cut in half, rubberbanded together (so it made two sets.) I got this idea from kids activities blog. The kids would dip the ends of the straw in the bubble solution then blow through the straws to make bubbles. Just make sure your kids are old enough to blow out and not suck in or they’ll get a mouth full of soap.
- I cut the bottom off of water bottles, then cut off the foot of socks of which I could not find the matching socks and rubber banded the sock onto the big open bottom. Then they stuck the sock end in the bubble solution and blew through the drinking part of the bottle.
- I took yarn, threaded it through two half straws and tied a knot so that it made a circle. The kids would hold onto the straws, dip the yarn into the bubble solution and then run with it to make huge bubbles. (I got ideas 2 and 3 and the first bubble solution from Mommy Needs a Break.) The kids really had fun with this!
- I put some big slotted spoons and spatulas in the solution the kids could use to blow bubbles with.
The kids had a blast with it–they went out twice and played with the bubbles. They probably played with it for close to 2 hours! They begged me to make more when it was all gone, so you know it was a hit.
The only downside to the bubbles was that my oldest daughter got a rash on her arms and a little on her face. All I can think is that it was from the bubble/soap solution. They were picking up the mounds of bubbles that were made from the sock/water bottle apparatus. Some of it would touch their faces. I did not have her wash her arms off, so it is very possible that the soap irritated her arms. If we do it again, I will have her rinse off her arms as soon as they are done playing with them and then see if she is still affected. None of the rest of the children had a problem.