I had the opportunity to review the cookbook Vegan Beans from Around the World: 100 Adventurous Recipes for the Most Delicious, Nutritious, and Flavorful Bean Dishes Ever. It is a cookbook of recipes that are obviously vegan and have beans in all of the recipes. I have received offers to review other books, but this really intrigued me as I have gotten to like beans more and more as I get older, and I know that beans are supposed to be very nutritious.
So I took the opportunity, and last night I prepared three of the recipes for dinner. Two of the three recipes were declared winners by my husband and me, and the third one was okay, but just not for us. I also am not a vegan, so I made the recipes with what I had on hand, so a couple of them were no longer technically “vegan.”
The first one that we really liked was the Bean Burrito. I LOVE bean burritos, but normally the ones I have eaten have refried beans in them. There were no refried beans in this recipe. My husband even said he thought it almost tasted like there was meat in the burritos, and that he could definitely go meatless for a meal if he were eating these burritos. My daughter who really likes beans said it tasted good, but that it had too much sour cream for her. I liked the sour cream, but I also liked the bean mixture without the sour cream. I did not have vegan sour cream, so I just used my regular sour cream.
I also made Green Beans Fries. My husband and I loved these. The kids were just okay with them, but my son who hates green beans liked the fries better than just eating cooked green beans. I also did not have nutritional yeast (and really don’t like the taste of it either), so I used parmesan cheese in place of the nutritional yeast. If you don’t know what I am talking about, nutritional yeast is NOT yeast, and you can find it in natural food stores or in health food stores or on Amazon. This is a very easy, healthy snack to make. I’ll give you the recipe for the fries today, and maybe I’ll do some more recipes on future posts!
The third recipe was a Three Bean Salad. I have never tried a Three Bean Salad, so I wanted to try this recipe. It was too sweet for my husband and me. But that’s just a matter of opinion.
I would like to try some of the other recipes in this book like these:
- Southwestern Style Salad
- Mexican Refried Beans
- Boston Baked Beans
- Italian “Meat” Balls
- Black Bean Burgers
- Black Bean Brownies (also Gluten Free!)
If you would like to link up to 3 of your old or new recipes, please feel free to do so! I just have two requests for this linky!
- Please follow me (either by receiving emails of my posts–you can sign up over on the left sidebar, following me on facebook, or by following me on pinterest.)
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- If you would like to link this recipe up to another linky where you will get pinned–and you have the chance of being a co-host, go link up to our Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party that is live right now!
- As a thank-you for linking up, I will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. If you want to, you could follow it to see great food recipes!
- If I have a real busy week and can’t post a recipe, I’ll feature some of you! By linking up, you agree to let me use your pictures and links in future feature recipe posts. Your photo may also be used for promotion on all of my social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Thanks for linking up!