I’m going against the rules for the hosts of this party and not posting a food post.
I ask all my hosts to always post a food post, but I was one of the 6 million that evacuated due to Hurricane Irma last week.
It was very stressful trying to decide if we should leave the state or not. We live on the West coast in Zone A which is the worst flooding zone. Our church is on very low property and we are only a mile or two from the ocean.
A week ago, the models were showing that Irma was going to hit us straight on; then the models shifted to show it hitting the East coast. We obeyed recommendations and filled up our vehicles with gas and also filled up a couple of gas cans, but we thought we would be able to stay in our house. Then on Thursday, they showed that the hurricane was going to go up the middle of the state and that Zone A had to evacuate. We decided that we would go to a friend’s house that lived in Zone D, but that we would stay in Florida. All of our friends were staying; we all thought that since we were on the west side of the storm we would be okay.
Then on Friday as we were cleaning up the yard, cleaning up the house, and doing laundry, we kept watching the weather reports where the hurricane was going to go right over us. We had to pack to evacuate to another house anyway, so I said to my husband, “Let’s just drive through the house and go to your sister and not have to worry about not having air conditioning and water for a few days.” Plus the house we were going to did not have hurricane strength windows and had not been boarded up as the owner had evacuated. So that is what we did.
We have been having a great time visiting with our family, taking it easy, and keeping in touch with our church family. All of you know the storm actually went east and died down to a category 1 hurricane by the time it reached Tampa, which is close to where we are — except we are more coastal. Several people went by yesterday and made sure the church was okay. We heard some fascia was blown off and we can see limbs and brush that will need to be cleaned up, but there was no major damage. All of the people who stayed behind are also okay. We are so thankful!
As we prepared for staying in Florida, I was so thankful for all the pre-packaged, non-perishable food we had. In the old days, people had their canned meats, vegetables, and fruits, they could have heated over a fire — after the hurricane was over. However, today, there is a wide assortment of canned meats, vegetables, fruits, granola bars, cereal, crackers, and more that can be bought and eaten without any heating. We would have been fine in the food department had we stayed, and the thing I am dreading most about going back is throwing away all my freezer food as it has been almost 24 hours since the electricity went off — and I don’t know when it will come back on. We also will probably buy a generator as there will be more tropical storms, and we will not evacuate every time a storm arises. This is Florida.
So that is why I do not have a food post ready today! Thank you for understanding and for linking up your posts to this week’s party.
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.