Jen from Nanna’s Wisdom is guest posting here today with this fantastic recipe! Thanks, Jen! I would love if you went by and gave Nanna’s Wisdom a visit!
Who doesn’t like a picnic?
Picnics are so much fun after a long winter filled with snow and stuck indoors.
Kids adore picnics but for mum they can get hectic so I have bought you a few tips to help ease the strain on mums.
Choosing your location
You know what they say about location, so first off we need the right location
- Find a park that has shade, tables, a playground and a toilet block.
- Foreshore will often have a great spot to picnic.
- Go for a drive into the woods and make your own picnic spot. Great for older kids that like to go adventuring.
- Lakes & pond areas are another ideal place for the older kids.
- Zoos are the perfect picnic spot for a special occasion.
Prepare before hand
No need to make a picnic hamper just before you leave home.
- Pack fruit into a container and leave in the fridge overnight
- Drink bottles can be 3/4 filled and popped in the freezer overnight giving a nice cold drink on the day.
- Make as much food as you can the day before.
- My cookie recipe can be made days in advance and kept in the freezer until the day.
What to pack
Often we pack way too much for a picnic and this is when mum gets weight down with all the work.
- 1-2 pieces of fruit per person.
- Drink bottle per person plus and extra water bottle.
- No more than you would normally pack for a lunch. Eg a round of sandwiches per person.
- A treat such as my Picnic Cookies, cake or a cereal bar
- Balls, frisbee, kite or maybe a cricket bat & ball.
- Camera, you need photos
What not to pack
So many times the car is over loaded
- Do not pack foods that will make a mess such as chocolate, you do not want to be cleaning sticky fingers and faces.
- Do not pack foods that have excess packaging- it makes for more rubbish that may get away.
- Little toys, they get lost and cause stress.
- If you know your picnic spot has tables & chairs do not pack a blanket.
- The dog unless you need him to clean up the food scraps.
Suitable foods for picnics
- Sausage rolls are fantastic and kids love them cold.
- Sandwiches can be boring for a picnic so make them special like pinwheels.
- Chicken pieces.
- cold meats & salads ( this can mean carrying an big esky)
- Rice paper rolls
- Boiled /scotch eggs
- Crackers & cheese
I hope you have enjoyed this post and do enjoy your picnic!
You can see more of Nanna’s Wisdom’s posts on her blog, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Free Free Waller from Couponin Diva is joining Danielle from Creatively Homespun to be our co-hosts for May! Please make sure that you follow them in at least one way! They will be commenting on and pinning many of your posts.
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts!
Here are just a few requests for this linky:
- PLEASE follow the hosts and co-hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please make sure you link up only food-related posts that have never been linked up here before or they will be deleted. Non-food posts can always be linked up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party! Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Try to visit a couple of blogs and leave a comment or share their posts.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.