This is a favorite meal of our family that I never knew about until I married my husband.
In fact, this meal has a story that has been told many times. When we were dating, my husband would often tell me how his mom would make for his family rice that had hard-boiled eggs and tuna fish in it. After we had been married for a few months, we arrived home late on Sunday night after being at a teen activity, and I knew Dave was tired and hungry. I also was tired. I thought this was the perfect time to make the famous rice, tuna fish, and egg meal I had heard so much about. How hard could it be? So I cooked my Aldi rice, drained the water out of my can of tuna fish, put some tuna and a hard-boiled egg in the rice, and added some soy sauce. I handed the dish to Dave and felt like a wonderful wife. Here I had made him one of his favorite dishes even though I too was exhausted. He too one bite while I looked on with anticipation. He promptly said, “This is disgusting!!”
I was crushed, and my feelings were hurt for a couple of days. I have since learned what I did wrong, and I have to admit that when I make it the “right” way, it tastes so much better. And the story has given us many laughs — once I got over it and got a sense of humor.
This is the way to make Dave’s Rice, Tuna Fish, and Egg dish:
- Cook up the amount of rice that would be good for your family. We personally use Jasmine rice.
- Hard-boil eggs at the same time. I put eggs in cold water, get the water to a boiling point, put the cover on the pan, turn the burner off, and let the eggs sit there a minimum of 20 minutes. I love to make my hard-boiled eggs this way as I don’t have to remember to turn off the burner at a set time.
- Open up a can of tuna fish in oil. The “in oil” part is crucial!
- After the rice is done, put rice on a plate, spoon some tuna on top of the rice without draining out the oil, add a hard-boiled egg, chop the egg up into the rice, sprinkle on some pepper if desired, and add soy sauce to taste. Stir it all up, and eat!
My kids are excited to eat this meal, and it is an easy meal for me to take somewhere else with us as long as we can warm up the rice somewhere. We stay at our church/school Wednesday nights after school is over until the Wednesday night prayer meeting begins. This is an easy meal to take with us for dinner on those nights. It’s also an easy, quick meal to make on one of the nights we get home late. Try it and see if you like it!
We have a new co-host for the month of March!
Melissa from The Happy Idiot will be sharing this party on her blog every Tuesday in March and also helping pin any recipes that are linked up past #125!
We would ask you to please follow her on one of her social medias!
Thank you, Melissa, for joining us in March to co-host this party.
If you would like to be a co-host for this party, please email Tammy at firstname.lastname@example.org. You would post this party every Tuesday at 7 am Central Time and include an original recipe, a round-up of recipes, or your favorite features from this party along with the link-up. We also may need your help pinning up to 25 recipes to our party board every week.
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.