We have plans this summer — plans to have a lot of fun!
Anyone that has kids probably has the same plans as me. We all want to have a memorable, relaxing, and fun summer.
But there are duties in life that must be done. The house must be cleaned, groceries and supplies must be bought, and food must be cooked.
Here are 5 easy ways you can streamline the work to maximize the fun:
- Keep the meals simple. The kids don’t care about gourmet meals, and anything cooked on the grill equals summer fun!
- Have the kids pitch in 15 minutes a day to help pick up everything and also perform a quick wipe down of bathroom sinks and toilets so that nothing gets too nasty.
- Buy in bulk. The more you have of necessary supplies that you know you will need, the less you have to go shopping. For example, I just found out that Walmart carries Cottonelle Mega Rolls Toilet Paper. One pack of these 12 mega rolls = 48 regular rolls. Buying in bulk also saves money too if you have programs like Ibotta. Starting today, there you can save $1 if you buy this pack at Walmart and use your Ibotta app! Save money by using Ibotta, save time by buying in bulk, save room as these 12 mega rolls take up less room than 48 regular rolls. It’s a win, win, win for everyone!
- Use in-store pick-up programs so you don’t have to waste time walking through the aisles filling your carts. While the kids are playing with water balloons or swimming in the pool or jumping on the trampoline, go online and fill up your shopping cart! I love Walmart’s Grocery Pickup program that they offer. You order online the products you always get from Walmart, schedule when it is a good time for you to pickup. and then just drive to the store at the right time and they’ll load it into your car. You can see if your Walmart offers this service HERE. In my area, it wasn’t my main Walmart that offered this feature, but instead our Neighborhood Market.
- Use products that take less regular maintenance. If you can cut out even 5-10 minutes a day of doing routine chores, that time adds up to more fun. We have wipes under our bathroom sink that any child can pull out and quickly wipe down our counters. Using Cottonelle Mega Rolls means less changing of toilet paper rolls and also ensures that we never run out when company is over. Find easy ways to simplify your life!
Now that we’ve simplified your life, you can have some fun!
For my kids, summer = water fun. We live in Florida, so we live in air conditioning or we live in water. I asked some of my friends what were some of their favorite water balloon games as we are going to have a water balloon party later this summer.
Here were some of their favorite water balloon games:
- Water Balloon Toss— like the egg toss game. The players have a partner and line up in two lines across from their partners. They toss the balloon to each other. After each successful catch, each person takes a step back. If their balloon breaks, the team is out. The last team with a balloon not broken wins. Here you can see a water balloon toss competition:
- Water Balloon Volleyball over a net using a sheet to catch and throw the water balloon.
- Water Balloon Dodgeball — same rules as regular dodgeball. (Place a large bucket in the center of the field full of water balloons, teams line up at the far side of the field, say “Go” and everyone dashes for the balloons. Stay dry to stay in the game. Catch the balloon, and the other team member is out.)
- Balloon Target Practice— Make targets out of sidewalk chalk on your driveway or sidewalk and let them throw balloons at the target.
- Water Balloon Steal the Bacon — HERE are the rules to steal the bacon.
- Water Balloon Cornhole — use water balloons and play like regular.
- Leaking Balloon Hot Potato – You’ll need a filled water balloon that has a hole poked in it by a safety pin (make up a supply to play the game over and over). Players stand in a circle and pass the the balloon around. It’s okay if they toss it. Try to not be holding the balloon when it runs out of water!
- Balloon Roll – Children roll their water balloon on the ground. The child that rolls their balloon the farthest, and does not pop it, wins!
- Water Balloon Pinata — hang a bigger balloon filled with water. Have children take turns hitting it.
- Water Balloon Tennis
- Water Balloon Capture the Flag — same as regular capture the flag, but instead the people have to be tagged by water balloons to be caught.
- Here is a list of more fun water balloon games.