Pinterest is Creative K Kids’ BFF. (Best Friend Forever)
Pinterest is my #1 referrer for Creative K Kids plus my fastest growing social media, so I am always thinking how I can maximize my Pinterest experience.
I have written many blog posts about using Pinterest for my old blog (The Ultimate Linky) and for where I contribute (Thinking Outside the Sandbox) where I have shared some of what I have learned about Pinterest.
I host three parties where all the posts that link up get pinned to Pinterest. I keep a spreadsheet of my pins and where I link them up every week. Pinterest is probably the one area of blogging where I am the most organized and the most diligent. It helps that I loved Pinterest before I even began blogging.
And I am not the only one who has experienced this! Kim Garst just wrote a post that shares how “according to Shareaholic, Pinterest is still driving more social media traffic referrals than Twitter, StumbleUpon, Reddit, Youtube, Google and Linkedin. And according to Piqora, the average pin results in .78 in sales.” Kim’s post also shares a brief overview how to smartly use Pinterest. If you are new to Pinterest, there is so much strategy behind how to maximize using Pinterest to get the best results, and not everyone agrees. I do not stress too much about differences in opinion. Just start pinning and see what works for you.
Here are a few basic tips for Pinterest that every serious blogger should absolutely be doing:
- Fill in the alt tag of every picture!!! Pinterest grabs this for your description. If you don’t fill in the alt tag, people either don’t put a description or they add a lousy one. Make sure that description has a couple of keywords and would grab reader’s attention. See #3 of this post.
- Make a pinnable picture for every post. Here are some tips for making pinnable pictures:
—3 Easy Steps to Make Pictures Pinnable
––4 Tips for Optimizing a Picture for Pinterest
––How to Make an UnPinteresting Post Pinteresting
––How To Create Vertical Pin for Pinterest
And here is a tool that every blogger that is serious about maximizing Pinterest should be using:
I know there are other payed plans out there, but this is the plan I have experience using. I have been paying to use Viraltag for almost 6 months, and Viraltag asked if I could share my experiences with my readers. I am receiving a form of compensation to write this post, but all opinions are entirely my own.
Viraltag Pro does cost money. You have to pay for some things if you want to get ahead. You have to spend money to make money. Now if you don’t have a goal to make money blogging, then I would not recommend spending money; but since Pinterest is my biggest referrer, Viraltag is the only tool I spend money on besides my Inlinkz subscription for all my linky parties, my PicMonkey Royale subscription, and then I pay for the BackupBuddy plugin.
You can check out Viraltag’s website for their pricing plans and some ways they help bloggers who may not be able to afford a more expensive plan. They also have a referral program:
So don’t let finances hold you back!
Here are some reasons why I like using Viraltag:
- I can schedule a picture on all the boards that would fit for that pin all at one time. From what I have read, it is bad for you to pin the same picture/post multiple times in one day. So I pull up Viraltag and schedule that one pin to all the boards that are applicable for that pin so that the picture is only being pinned by me once a day. Here is how I do this:
1. First, you have to install the extension for whatever browser you are using. Viraltag shows you how to do this.
2. If you are pinning from your post, then be on your post, click on the Viraltag extension, and then all the pictures from the page will come up.
3. Click on the picture(s) you want pinned.
4. Then it will take you to a screen where you can choose which board(s) to pin the pin to. Here you can see where I am going to pin that one pin to all these boards, but you could choose to just pin to one board.
5. Then you can choose to “post now”, “add to queue” or to schedule the pins by clicking on the clock. If you want to schedule one pin to a bunch of boards, put in the date and time for when you want the first pin pinned, and then space them out by minutes. I want it the rest to be only pinned once a day as it is the same pin, so I put the interval to be 1440 minutes. It works like a charm! (It says 1440 minutes, but you can’t see the 0.)
- I can pin my posts that link up to my parties all in one sitting if I choose to. Supposedly, you should not be pinning more than a few pins to one board at a time. It looks spammy. So I have my queue set up to space my pins out every 15 minutes. When I pin for the parties, I do the “add to queue” feature. You can set up your queue anyway you choose to set it up. If you want more space between pins, change your queue schedule or click on the clock and schedule it exactly when you want it to be pinned. Here you can see how I have some pins scheduled from a party plus a few of my own pins scheduled as well.
- You can schedule pins months in advance. So I can schedule an Easter pin for this year–and next year–all at the same time, and I don’t have to go back next year to pin again! Here you can see how you pick the time you want it scheduled.
- It is easy to pin other people’s content. It has been said that you should be pinning quality pins to get noticed by Pinterest and others, so if you are on a terrific group board or are in a tribe, you can click on that board, then select all. All those pins will pull up and on the top you can specify the interval of time between each pin, then you can pick which board you want each pin to go to, and then click schedule! Now you are pinning great content and helping out your blogger friends!
- Another feature of Viraltag Pro is that you can connect other social media accounts and schedule tweets, posts to facebook, posts to tumblr and linkedin all with this one service. Here is what one of my posts to Twitter looked like:
— Tammy (@creativekkids) February 25, 2015
So that’s pretty cool! Go to your post, click on your Viraltag browser extension and schedule out almost all your shares for the day/month/year with this one program!