My mother-in-law is Vietnamese and makes the best egg rolls! The problem with her recipes is that she has no recipe. She just does them. So I have learned how to do them a lot like hers, but I don’t have an exact recipe either! But I will do my best to tell you how we make them.
This is one of the food items my mother requested for her Mother’s Day meal, so I wrapped them the night before and put plastic wrap between the egg rolls so that they did not stick together. The next day, we fried them. You also can freeze them before you fry them.
- Homemade Egg Rolls2014-05-13 00:41:30Write a reviewIngredients
- Ground pork
- rice noodles
- **My mother-in-law also puts in very small diced up dried mushrooms of some kind. She gets them from a Vietnamese store, so I have never put any in my egg rolls.
- egg roll wrappers
- oil (vegetable or canola) for frying the egg rolls
- Cook up ground pork (I do about one pound) It will make over 40 egg rolls (depending on how big you make them and how much vegetables/noodles you put in the mixture.)
- Shred carrots and cabbage (I do it in my food processor.)
- "Cook" rice noodles (just put in hot water for a minute or two and then drain when soft.) I use less than 8 ounces for 1 pound of meat. Maybe 4 ounces? I then cut the noodles with my kitchen shears so that they are not so long.
- Combine all the above ingredients and mix well.
- You can really use any quantity of those ingredients that you want to use.
- Make an egg wash mixture out of an egg and 1 tablespoon of water. (Beat egg and water)
- Unpeel one egg roll wrapper.
- Put one corner of the wrapper facing you.
- Place a couple tablespoons of vegetable/meat down towards the bottom corner that is facing you.
- Put that corner up over the food mixture; bring over the corners, and keep rolling it as tightly as you can.
- Dip the last corner in the egg wash and seal the egg roll.
- Fry the egg rolls until the wrappers are a light golden brown.
Creative K Kids http://creativekkids.com/
- My mother-in-law also makes her own dipping sauce which has no measurements! You make it out of it about: (I don't measure--I tried to do it for this post though)
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1c water
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- I just have my husband taste it and tell me if it is right!
From left or right:
- I get the rice stick noodles or rice vermicilli (very thin rice noodles) at the stores by my house. They are very inexpensive, unlike Amazon.
- We either have homemade dipping sauce or use this sweet chili sauce.
- I use the fish sauce and the chili garlic sauce when I make my own dipping sauce.
Here is a video of my daughter rolling an egg roll:
This month, Crystal from Yum Eating and Erlene from My Pinterventures are running this party on their blogs! Now the food posts that you link up will be seen on three blogs! Last week, we had 40 link-ups! Thanks for linking up!
We would love to have you link up to three of your old or new food posts! Here are just a few requests for this linky:
- PLEASE follow the hosts and co-hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They visit your post, leave a comment, and pin your post. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
**Tammy at Creative K Kids (Blog)** Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram **Chrystal at Yum Eating (Blog)** Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram **Erlene at My Pinterventures (Blog)** Pinterest/Facebook/Google+/Twitter/Instagram
- Try to visit a couple of blogs and leave a comment or share their posts.
- Please link up a food post you have never linked up at this party before.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you include your e-mail in the linky form below you will be added to a weekly reminder e-mail when the link party goes live. Your e-mail will not to added to any other lists or given out.
Thanks for linking up!