After our recent trip to the apple orchard, we had over 1 bushel of apples to use up! I got right to work canning applesauce and apple butter. Of course, we just ate some apples along with my homemade caramel dip. I also made apple kuchen and one apple pie filling. But one of the first items I cooked was apple streusel muffins.
We had gone apple picking on a Friday, and on Saturday the girls asked if I could make something with the apples like a dessert or muffin. I did not have an apple muffin recipe, so I just started searching on the internet, and I found this recipe.
I am not always fond of cooked apple–it must be something about the texture of it, but I thought I might like this recipe as it has the sugar streusel topping. (I’m a big fan of sugar!) I did chop my apples up rather finely in my food processor as I don’t like big chunks of apples. Beyond that, I just followed the recipe, and they turned out great! They were a hit–the whole family declared that they were yummy and a repeat recipe!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples--I put mine in the processor and chopped them fine.
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be stiff). Fold in apples.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over muffins. Yield: 1 dozen